Okay, I will start by saying please do not let the title fool you, this post will NOT be comparable to anything you will see on Oprah's "My Favorite Things" show nor will I be giving anything away....no $5000 refridgerators and no $20000 cars you will have to pay taxes on.
No, this list is going to be relatively simple, but it is exactly what I need at the moment in order to remember all that I am thankful for because quite simply...I am tired. Exhausted. Being a full time working momma with a job that has required travel more often than not lately, I am tired. So I want to stop and remember some of my most favorite things. I can start with the obvious...my husband, my little guy, my family, friends and sweet puppy dogs, but I want this list to be of my favorite things....things that make me happy. So here it goes:
1) Diet Coke - anyone that knows me knows I have been addicted since the 7th grade. Not good I know, but I love it.
2) Haribo Gummi Bears - they have to be Haribo or I will not touch them, but I love them.
3) Fall Weather - I love the leaves, the cool crisp air, bonfires, hayrack rides, the Baldwin City Maple Leaf Festival, football games....all of it....I love it.
4) Neckwarmers from my baby dogs - Have you ever had a neckwarmer? You know, when you are laying on the couch and one of your sweet puppy dogs comes and nuzzles her neck across your neck? My husband and I call those neckwarmers, and I love them.
5) Being in the kitchen - I love to cook, but even if I am not the one cooking, I love being in the kitchen. I love the smells, the sounds, the tastes....I love the smell of garlic on my hands. And right along with it comes....
6) Cookbooks - I love reading them, I love looking at the pictures, I love the lists of ingredients.
7) Sewing - One of my more recent favorite things to do, but a favorite nonetheless. Read about how I believe it has saved my life by clicking here...
8) Peonies - Peonies may actually be my most favorite, favorite thing. I remember my grandmother's yard being full of peony bushes and they remind me of her with every bloom. I love them because I love her.
9) My Pilly - this needs no explanation as everyone loves their pilly, right?
10) The Sunday paper - Okay, so I love skipping over the entire paper and going straight to the Sunday advertisements, but it still counts at the Sunday paper, right?
Okay, those are all my favorite things and I feel better just thinking about them! Now I have to go do another one of my most favorite things and put my little man to bed! Good night!
Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.