Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fun stuff! (and not so fun stuff!)

The fun stuff!

Today I purchased my fabrics for the One Million Pillowcase Challenge! I wanted to find fabrics with colors and patterns that were relatively neutral, as well as calming and soothing since they are to be donated to a local women's shelter. Here are the fabrics I chose and I even made a set of pillow cases tonight! Each coordinating yard of fabric makes two alternating pillow cases, the body of one and the band of another.

pink / brown
blue / yellow


made!


Now...the not so fun stuff!

Gussy, whom I LOVE (she makes the most awesome clutches, headbands, and laptop bags, all with her signature ruffle), recently wrote a series of blog posts about budgeting your money, both personal and business. You see, Gussy recently made Gussy her full time job. Read about her inspiring (inspiring to me!) decision here. I have been reading the series, but kept dismissing the relavence to me because, well, even though I have an etsy shop, I am not big time enough to consider it a business. Meaning, I do not have plans to leave my 8-6 (mine is not a 9- 5) anytime in the near future. Or even the distant future for that matter. So I kept dismissing it. That is, until this afternoon when she posted the last part of the series and then this piece of advice might as well of jumped out of my computer and "thunked" me in the forehead....
* save all your receipts!


And I get it now...now it is clear. Why wouldn't I want to be educated and informed about how much I was spending? Even if I am not in a position where I have to reconcile what is/' going out versus what is coming in in order to run a business, why wouldn't I at least want to know how much I am spending? Well, the answer is, I do want to know. So here is my commitment to keep my receipts so that I am aware of what I am spending. I am not quite sure what I am going to do with them once I've got them, but at least I have got them. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment