Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Got scraps?

Every wonder what to do with all your scraps from sewing? How about using them for this?


Now, of course you would only use your scrap fabric for chew toys for your sweet puppies after you have spent 3 hours salvaging every 6 X 6 inch square you could for quilting. Not that I quilt, but my step mother does and I plan on sending them to her.

Anyways, making the chew toys is easy. I originally made mine out of flannel because those were the scraps I had, but flannel is not ideal because the fabric shreds pretty easily. The ideal fabric to use is fleece and I picked some up this weekend. To make the chew toy, simply cut 3-4 fleece strips 25" X 1" in length and width (for small dogs, longer for bigger dogs), tie a knot in one end, braid the strips, and tie with another knot. As you can see, my sweet girls love them!

In other news, I am linking up my etsy shop for Marketplace Mondays over at Finding Fabulous! Stop over and have a look at all of the incredible stores on etsy, all selling either handmade or vintage goods! If you have not shopped on etsy before, you are really missing out!

I am also linking up over at Mad in Crafts "Mad Skillz" tutorial party!


BWS tips button

1 comment:

  1. My basset would love one of these! Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete