Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Monday, September 6, 2010

My Hometown

I grew up in the kind of small town that as a teenager you can't wait to leave and you swear you are never coming back. The very same kind of small town you wish you lived in when you are raising kids of your own in the big city. The kind where streets are numbered 1-12 from east to west and lettered A-O running north and south. I used to live at the corner of 6th & High. And even though after college I made my big escape, the older I get, the more I realize that my hometown is where my heart is. My hometown is, well, home.

A few weeks ago I made mention that I was going to join my stepmom this year in being a vendor at my town's annual Fall festival, The Maple Leaf Festival. I cannot even begin to explain how much I love the Maple Leaf Festival, except to maybe go as far as to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I love everything about it....the parade, the food, the rides, the crowds, the booths, and well, the maple leaves themselves. My small town of 4,000 swells to over 100,000 over the course of the weekend when the weather is right, so much so that traffic is stopped for miles on the single lane highways in all four directions just trying to get into town. I love it.

(speaking of Fall, look what I found in my yard over the weekend! yes!)

I love it so much that this weekend I found myself starting to get nervous since it is really only 6 weeks away. What I can't yet tell is what exactly the nerves are about....am I worried if I will have enough stuff? Am I worried if anyone will think its good enough to buy? I am not quite sure yet, though it may be a little of both. Since I will be selling baby blankets, hand bags, shoulder bags, sling bags and crayon rolls, I've started building my existing stock with every free moment. This weekend I snuck a few hours of sewing in (2 to be exact!) while Z was napping and here's what I worked on:



I won't be listing these on etsy and I will actually be closing the shop about a week or two before Maple Leaf. Does anyone have any tips for being a vendor they would like to share? My stepmom has been doing this every year for as long as I can remember, so I am sure I am safe in her hands, but it never hurts to ask. :)
----------------------
I am partying it up this week at the linky parties over in my sidebar! Join me!

18 comments:

  1. super cute! we would love if you would come link up your project at quiltstory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you used! Thanks for joining us this week!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tip from my aunt who's been doing shows for longer than I've been alive... Always have things in lots of different price ranges. You never know, you might sell something to a kid for a couple bucks, and their parent might pick up something for $100. Well my aunt makes jewelry so maybe a little different. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute fabrics!

    just have fun! enjoy the people and the atmosphere of it all. i used to do craft shows and the more relaxed i was, the more fun i had, which led to more sales. i guess i seem nicer when i am relaxed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pastel argyle! I'm sure you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love those balnkets, I bet you'll do great!

    Thanks for linking up! We'll see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blankets look wonderful! So pretty!

    I would love for you to come by this week and link up at my Friday Favorites party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Megan - love the plaid/argyle. :) Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Love those fabrics...I love sewing too, but haven't tried a blanket yet. Come visit me anytime at Support Blog for Moms of Boys!

    Ginger
    www.superstinkyboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! Good luck at the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like your festival is a lot like our Pumpkin Show. It's been around over 100 years! I'd love to set up as a vendor, but it costs A LOT!

    I agree with a previous poster who said to just relax and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up on my pity party! Good luck at the show- I'm sure you'll do great. ;) xo,Mique

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so adorable. You will have no trouble selling them. Good luck!! I grew up in a small town also. We always laughed that there was only one stoplight. I agree with the memories and where your heart lies!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blankets are really cute and I think you will be able to sell them all no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute, your blankets will fly off the tables at the festival! I love the girly ones, the princess print would be a big hit with my daughter...although she'd probably need a much much bigger size! Good luck and let us know how it goes, I've never tried selling anything but I'm always curious to learn from others! Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope to see you next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awww-- these are so sweet. beautiful job. thanks for linking up your project at a crafty soiree

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete