Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I love being the mom of a boy, but...

I love being the mom of a little boy. I love watching my boy playing in the dirt, and trying to eat sticks, and I even love coming out into the backyard to find him standing in my largest flower pot. Like this. I love everything about being the mom of a boy.


To be honest, little girls kind of scare me. Not necessarily little girls themselves, which are super sweet, but the idea of having to raise a little girl and all the drama that comes along with them. Having to deal with the conotations of "princess" and "diva" every where you turn. It scares me. Moms of little girls are heroic in my book.
But....I have to admit....that even though I love being the mom of a boy, I love making things for sweet little girls just as much. And while I usually tend to be drawn to bright color and prints, this so super sweet soft flannel rose print practially jumped into my arms and made me take it home with me. I knew I wanted to make a little apron out of her, so I paired the rose fabric with a matching pink polka dot flannel for the pockets, the back and the straps. And I love how she turned out. Dare I say this makes me want a little girl of my own?




I wouldn't go that far....yet. But I do love this little apron none the less. So, she is in my shop, just in case you love her too.

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty!
    I have 2 boys and love it... but I have to admit sewing for girls is a lot easier, it seems there is so much more available for girls! YOur boy is adorable! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'll be back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - even though I have only been a mom to a little boy for 2 months now :) (I do have a brother 9 years younger so I remember the things he got into)

    The idea of a baby girl and little girl seems ok - its the teenage years are a scary thought for me haha, but in the mean time I like making hair bows and all for friends with girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, I think the same way when it comes to having girls :) I have 2 boys (19 mos and 4 and a half) and I think in the long run, it is going to be much easier than girls :) The apron same out super cute. Am heading to check out your store now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 3 girls, which still scares me! LOL. They still love all the boy-ish things you described though. Your little one is such a cutie.
    :)
    Courtney
    ThePaisleyAbbey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feared before Evie, I fear now. Aaahhhh!

    That soft pink is what I'm always drawn to at the stores. Maybe because it is more subtle and doesn't scream DIVA HOT FLAMING PINK SEE ME NOW PRINCESS....I don't know.

    Z is too cute. Stick eating and all. They just get so ROWDY. I thought I was okay with it, but I'm just too tired. LOL

    ReplyDelete