Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Quilting #2 : Finding Fabrics

In my hunt for Fat Quarters for my first quilt, I scoured all the fun Fat Quarter bundles at my favorite fabric shops on Etsy, but unfortunately I wasn't finding a pre-arranged bundle that was in the assortment of colors I was looking for.


I then came across a custom listing you could create with your own selection of Fat Quarters at a great Etsy shop called Mimis Fabrics and More....perfect! I loved that I could select my choices from any fabrics in her shop under $9/yd and y'all she had hundreds of fabrics to choose from!


Most of my choices were Amy Butler fabrics, which I thought would work well since the them of my first quilt is around Amy Butler's Bliss Bouquet in Emerald. So, here are the 6 Fat Quarters I chose for my custom bundle:


Amy Butler Momento in Burgandy

Amy Butler Floating Buds in Gray

Amy Butler Sunspots in Olive

Heather Bailey Hop Dots in Tangerine
(see, I said almost all Amy Butler fabrics)

Amy Butler Bali Gate in Grass

Amy Butler Araesque in Ivory

Buying fabric online can sometimes be daunting because it can be so hard to guage the colors correctly, so I definitely don't expect for all 6 of these to be a perfect fit for my first quilt. But, I am pretty sure they will go to good use eventually, right? I can't wait to see them in person!



1 comment: