Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Friday, February 17, 2012

How just $0.97 can change your perspective



My 4 year old LOVES to draw. And I LOVE that he LOVES to draw. I LOVE being able to visually see what his little mind dreams up with his imagination, which in his case, usually involves either Angry Birds or obstacle course from the tv show Wipeout.

Z is the type of little boy that can re-create something he has seen only once, for example, an Angry Bird set up from the game or from an AB construction set he has.



He's pretty good, isn't he? And he loves those Angry Birds.
And he loves WipeOut too. He loves drawing the obstacle course.


And he loves the big balls of course. :)




What I didn't love, however, was the na-nillion times a day I would have to pick up his markers and crayons from the table. Or the floor. Or one of my dining chairs. Or the desk in our kitchen. I would complain and complain and complain about having to pick them up. It would be the last thing I did each night before bed and it put me close to going over the top on more than one occasion.



Then one day, it dawned on me....if it consumed so many short bursts of my time and energy, what could I do to change it? Why was I spending so much time complaining versus trying to change my situation?



So for $0.97 a piece, I picked up 2 pencil boxes from Walmart. Such a simple solution. Not rocket science. Most likely something that every other mom in America has in her home.

My kid now uses the boxes like he is supposed to instead of leaving them strung out everywhere. Go figure.



But you know what? This very simple solution is forcing me to stop and think about what else I have been complaining about in my life that if I just slowed down for two seconds to think about, I could most likely solve the problem and end the complaining. I find myself just going full steam ahead while small things like this one drain my time and energy. As a full time working mom of 2 boys, I've got more important things to spend my time on other than complaining about the small stuff.

And yes, technically it is the best $1.94 I have ever spent, but I am not sweating the small stuff.






1 comment:

  1. What a great little artist he is already! I really need to work on Owen. I'm impressed with Z's ability, truly. Maybe I should encourage some good old fashioned coloring time this weekend. Me included!

    ReplyDelete