Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Handmade Holiday #2 - Hand towels

Last week I posted about a quick and simple, yet so creative, handmade gift idea that I first saw on Sugar Bee Craft Edition. I liked the idea so much I tried it on my lunch break! Here are a few I finished up over this past weekend coupled with where I found my fabric.

I made both of these using the fat quarters I found
on clearance at my new favorite
local quilt shop, The Quilt Asylum.

These I made using the last of my favorite gray fabric I found
at JoAnn's which I haven't been able to find since.
I kick myself all the time for only buying 2 yards.
The yellow I found at Hancock Fabrics
and I use it all the time!

I picked up this fabric at Hobby Lobby before I
decided I wouldn't shop there anymore.
It is sad really, but a girl has to stand
up for what she believes.
(more on that another time perhaps)

I found this super cute black & white
fabric at....*gasp*....WalMart.


This fabric is from Hancock Fabrics
and matches the yellow starburst above.

I found this lovely vintage inspired fabric at JoAnn's too I think.


I am pretty sure I found this fabric at
CityCraft, another fun local Dallas quilt shop.
They have an excellent selection of
modern fabrics and oilclothes
(which I hope to be brave enough to try one day)
and they ship!

So, what do you think? Would you make these for someone on your holiday list this year? Or would you like to receive them as a gift? If you decide to make, feel free to link up because I would love to see them!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Where did you but your towels? Oh, and I want to hear about why you won't shop at Hobby Lobby.
    :)
    Courtney
    ThePaisleyAbbey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by after your comment on my blog- and I love the hand towels! I saw this on Sugar Bee- but I believe you just inspired me to try them! And, your sweet post about your stepmom gives me hope (being a stepmom myself). Thanks for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete