Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Maple Leaf Festival - Part 2 - Handmade Purchases

I can't wait to share my handmade purchases from the Maple Leaf Festival this past weekend! Since taking the pledge to gift handmade goods this year for the holidays, I have thoroughly enjoyed shopping so much more and it is only October!

My very first purchase this year, and when I say first I mean I made this purchase at 8:10am Saturday morning, was a handmade Christmas tree skirt made by my stepmother's mother, Mrs. Lawson. While you may not technically count this one as shopping considering I purchased it from my own booth (and I did purchase it despite Mrs. Lawson trying to give it to me), my aunt who showed up at 8:01 to get one said it best when she said "Everyone should have a Jean Lawson tree skirt. I had to get here first so I made sure to get one this year" and I agree with her. My aunt is giving one to my newly married cousin and I am gifting mine to a special person in my husband's family. Isn't it lovely?



My second purchase shortly thereafter was this beautiful knitted scarf in the prettiest shades of blue and green. I LOVED the soft, fluffy threading and this lovely is going to someone in my family.


This fun version of an advent calendar is maybe something I purchased for myself....that's allowed, right? I loved the idea that the blocks were something Z could help with or that we could do together. This fun little booth at Maple Leaf was called Polkadot Xpressions and they have a great little etsy shop at www.polkadotxpresions.etsy.com. In addition to the advent calendar, they make wonderful custom picture frames and personalized blocks. Stop by and take a look!
And lastly......I loved the first one so much I had to go back and get another hand knitted scarf! Is she beautiful in all her shades of purple?
I also wanted to share a few other booths I stopped by and loved at the festival, though I didn't make any purchases. First, all the little girl goodness you could ever want can and is made by Sweet Stuff by Suzie Stadler, click the link to visit her blog and see all her sweet goods. The second booth I enjoyed, Campbell Cate, had the most precious little girl jumpers I have ever seen, hop over and take a look there as well. They also have super cute sock monkey shirts for boys.
Okay, so what do you think? Did I get a good start on my handmade holiday shopping? Have you found any goods you would like to share while shopping festivals and markets? Do you think that would make a good link party perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. Those scarves look soooo comfy. I'm jealous. :) Good work on xmas handmade gift choices.

    ReplyDelete