Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Now or Never!

While it still mostly feels like popsicle weather here in the Big D (proof of that later in the post), I decided it was now or never to decorate for Halloween, especially because it IS finally October, which is crazy enough in itself.

I have seen so many spooky festive mantels on so many of my favorite blogs, but unfortunately the mantel in my family room is unusually narrow (a big mantle will definitely be on my list in my next home!) so I normally decorate my entry way instead for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Here's a peek at my start today....



(I buy most of my holiday decorations at Garden Ridge after the actual holiday when they are up to a crazy 90% off. The skeleton and the witch I found at Ross this season for under $10 each.)

And if you needed proof that it is still popsicle weather somewhere, here is my kid eating a popsicle barefoot in a tshirt and shorts on October 2nd. Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. I love the decorating. I suppose this means I need to drag out the cobwebs from the cobwebs and start decorating for the boys, huh? Maybe that'll be a Monday evening "to do" for the entire family. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with the skeleton and witch. I'm all about homemade decorations but there are just somethings that are better attempted by those who know how to yield a welding tool.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete