Sewing is a lot like life...sure, there are patterns for just about everything, but in order to love what you do, or love what you make, you have to change the pattern to make it your own regardless if the change is a fraction of an inch or the length of a yard. And more often that not, those choices you make to change the pattern do not work out exactly the way you hope. It can be frustrating and challenging, and sometimes you have have to rip it all apart at the seams and start completely over. Which requires patience. A lot of patience. But in doing so, you create something that is far more rewarding, and far more beautiful, then what you started with.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve Wishes

My childhood friend Tooje (you remember me talking about her before here and here ) posted something wonderful today on her blog Circling the Square Table and I wanted to share her kindness as it has inspired me going into the New Year!

There are a few truths I have learned about real and meaningful friendships, regardless to if you have been friends since childhood or you've just made an instant connection, regardless if you have met in real life or simply met over the internet. Friendship, to me at least, is about creating a connection, a community between two people regardless of where, what or when.

1) Real friends tell you what you need to hear, when you need to hear it, regardless to if you want to hear it or not.
2) Real friends push you in the direction of tacking your greatest fears, but only because they know you will succeed even when you don't, because they believe in you, even when you don't.
3) Real friends always, always, always want only the best for you.

Tooje inspires all those things, you only need to read her latest post, New Year's Eve Eve Wishes, to understand for yourself. Like most everyone, Tooje is experiencing her own "real life" moments as I call them, yet she takes time to "wish" her friends....some old, some new, some real life, some virtual...the very best in the the New Year. Her "wish" for me?

"Emily, I hope the year brings you continued hope and patience and even more wonderful family moments that catch you by surprise."

Just what I needed to hear, in the moment I needed to hear it, by an old friend who only wants the best for me.

So here is my wish for all my friends, new and old, real life and virtual:
Peace.
Peace at heart.
Peace of mind.
Peace in spirit.
Peace.

I wish each of you a happy, a safe, and a peaceful New Year!

(google images)

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to sit here and happily catch up on blog posts while watching some Cotton Bowl and I'm tearing up.

    Darn you.

    Peace. It's a lovely and attainable wish. I am searching for it as we speak (by putting kids to bed!!!!). I truly hope you find and keep it all year long. Happy 2011 friend.

    love tooje

    ReplyDelete